Wednesday, November 9, 2011

NEW BEGINNINGS!

So, to start at the beginning, I went to see BW, the third weekend in September, where he has been working since August and is about 4 hours away (I can do it in much less).  I left on the Saturday and returned Monday morning, exhausted as I left there at 0630 and then drove through rush hour Toronto traffic, which I LOVE by the way.  I am NOT afraid of a good drive.  I rise to the occasion, in fact.  On the way home I stopped in at my bestie's, one B$ (Bee Money) as B (daughter) was at her donor's for the weekend.  By the time I got home and had unpacked and played with B, I was exhausted and had a sleep.  I had to cut my nap short because I'd committed to attending my friend T-Dawg's Party Lite party that evening and almost missed it, which, looking back would have changed the course of things altogether!  Yay for being a good friend!
From arriving a little late to T-Dawg and Momma's with B, I snacked, visited and smelled some awesome scents and some my nose didn't care for and placed and order and was convinced by LAW (the PL consultant) to have a party of my own so that I could get some saweet things on the cheap or free, depending on how lucrative my party was.
So October 13th arrived and I had two of my best gfs helping me out with last minute preparations.  I must say that I LOVE hosting parties because I LOVE to feed people delicious food especially tapas and desserts! We had a great time, spent some money on delicious scents and beautiful home decor and ate!  These are the things I prepared:

Spiced pecans over cranberry compote with assorted crackers and cinnamon pita bites
Spinach dip in pumpernickel round
veggies & dip
fruit & dip
chocolate & chocolate mint fudge

wine, coffee, tea, juice, etc

So I had a fairly lucrative party (thanks to all who came and spent, and some online orders!) and it was time to settle up with the consultant, LAW.  It worked out, after comparing, that I would be further ahead to become a consultant and thus always get 50% off wax products (yay! I LOVE great smells and thus go through a TON of wax) and if I happened to make some money, great but I didn't strive to be a career PL'er.

A couple weeks later, after having let my fb friends know that I was a consultant and they could get their PL fix through me if need be, I was approached about doing a 'one stop shopping' event which was a fundraiser for our local bantam hockey boys, who are headed to Europe this winter.  In hopes to get some of the trip money back in Mom's and Dad's pockets, ($3600 per kid times an entire team plus chaperones is a TON of coin and hockey is an expensive sport to begin with!) they planned this event of a pile of home based businesses in a rented hall with display tables showcasing each one's wares.  So, I was booked in for that gig.  In addition, they were asking for a raffle item of approx $25 retail value.  This is where I had an issue.
As a new consultant, I only had what I got in my kit, plus what I ordered for personal consumption and didn't have anything PL to part with, let alone for free when I hadn't made anything from it yet.  I'm not a money bag either so I can't really afford to order things to give away.  I had figured that anything I did make, would end up going to buying more yummy smelling wax anyway.  Yes, I am an addict!
My gf Pea and I had discussed getting together at my place to do xmas baking because my utilities are included in my rent and I have a Kitchen Aid machine, so it was the cheaper choice.  So the day came that we were getting things done that would freeze well (fudge and anything with fat (peanut butter) or candied freezes super well) and we were talking about what I was going to raffle for that event and we decided that fudge truffles would be a great one because really, who doesn't like fudge, especially in a little round ball of yumminess?  So now we have 2 tables at this event, one for Party Lite and one for PeaKay Fudge and Confectionery!
Then the question was asked, what happens if people wanted more of this heavenly balled treat?  Well shit son! So in about 20 minutes we devised a plan and off I went to our local Staples to get some cards (which were on sale) designed and printed.  We are currently awaiting their completion as they have a 7-10 day turn around, which is pretty fast. They are pink and purple and pretty.  Loves it!
Since then we have booked into several more of these events and are really busy from now til mid December, which is exciting to say the least.  Yesterday morning I went to 98.1 Free FM with some samples for a friend of mine who co-hosts the morning show and took our product for a test run to people who didn't have to say that they liked it because they knew us.  It went so super well that we're going to look into advertising with them.
So we've started this on a whim and have setup to hit the ground running at a neck-breaking speed, but we're a perfect team and I think that we're going to do well! We're still working out price and product lists, but we are accepting orders and I will post all the events that we will be attending on here and on our PeaKay blog!

Ciao for now!

CrAzY mOmMa


PS we are also working on putting together an appetizer and dessert catering business that will be launched soon, with a third partner who owns a cupcake business and makes DELISH cupcakes!  So much going on, this is an exciting time for this squirrel chasing crazy momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment