Wednesday, April 6, 2011

YouTube - Community Stop Motion End Song - That's What Christmas is For

YouTube - Community Stop Motion End Song - That's What Christmas is For

SO I have recently discovered, thanks to my beloved cousin, that I LOVE the sitcom 'Community'. I love this show for SO many reasons. It's intelligently hilarious but dumb people will also think it's funny. That's right folks, a li'l somethin' fer e'rybody. LOVES IT!!!

Since my last posts were around xmas and I just saw this episode as I'm playing catch up (the show's in it's 3rd season! WTF have I been?!?) to get to current episodes, this hit me as something that I felt I should blog about.

I've been a person who's struggled with 'faith' since I was about 16 (almost 29... 3 weeks... just sayin') and to struggle, for me, meant to vacillate between TOTALLY believing and TOTALLY thinking it's utter nonsense. I equate my battle with a deep need to 'fit in' and 'win over' one particularly paramount person in my life, as I'd done (and will surely continue to do, although hopefully less frequently) repeated things to lose that person's faith in me, because I made choices that they knew were bad for me. Faith is something that means a great deal to this person and I thought that I'd somehow right wrongs by just believing for them. I can't. I simply don't.

I've been on the nonsense side of the path for a while now and this past xmas I was really asking myself, 'why do I celebrate xmas and carry on a tradition with my child that is partially based on something I don't believe in?'

I don't think less of people who have belief in some sort of higher being/power. I am just not one of those subscribers. I say 'Merry Christmas' because I live in a nation that was 'founded' (I know, you Natives had it first. You know what I mean, don't crucify me! ;) ) by people with Christian beliefs. I believe in the traditions brought about because of the collaboration of a Christian of Christmas and that of the Solstice: Getting together with the ones you love, breaking break with them, imbibing in some drink and just LOVING one another, openly and forsaking all bygones and recognizing them as such. A season to be extra kind and generous in ways that you can afford. Good will to men (and women, child, beast {except the ones we be eatin'} etc) and all that.

This episode is worth watching. Yes, that means you SHOULD google!

This song resonates with me because it's how I think that Christmas is too. I'm glad to carry forth some of the traditions I've had growing up, adding those of my partner and creating new ones with my daughter. So in a ditch effort at 'better late than never', Merry Christmas folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment